Are you a Development Director who is passionate about technology and developing and enabling people? Do you operate with high integrity and do you want to be able to help improve the environment by recommending best practices? Our client is a fast-paced and energetic software company that is a leader in their field and loves innovative ideas. We love this company because the employees can influence the success of the company and are able to work with like-minded, smart people
Our client has asked for our help in looking for a Development Director for a permanent role. In this role, you will develop high availability web solutions for public-facing web sites
Reporting to the Senior Department Director for Engineering, and with direct oversight and management of the Development team, the Development Director is responsible for leading, managing, and evolving the Development and QA functions. Alongside other Seniors Managers, this role will be responsible for developing, monitoring, and improving the compliance of development strategies, policies, procedures, and standards for the company.
- Works with the Department Director for Engineering and the Senior Manager Enterprise Architecture to ensure company strategic initiatives are met
- Works with the Development Management, Product Management, Account Management, Scrum Master, and Release teams in the creation and compliance of the company’s development standards and processes.
- Proactively diagnoses business problems, and identifies solutions
- Ensures development methodologies, standards, practices, templates, and governance are maintained to industry standards. Processes in-depth understanding of the development and operational approaches. Proactively proposes and collaborates with stakeholders to implement applicable solutions based on use cases.
- Provide strong and innovative leadership to the Development team through effective collaboration with the Development Managers. Actively and eagerly provide leadership, coaching, and mentorship using structural and informal approaches. Lead by example and take pride in supporting team members' professional development.
- Collaborates closely with teams across the company to facilitate project completion within the SAFe framework.
- Leads and actively participates in resolving incidents to reduce the recovery time (MTTR). Collaborates closely with internal and external stakeholders to improve the incident and problem management processes.
- Continuously reviews lessons learned, post-mortems, and project and portfolio metrics. Apply a data-driven approach to perform accurate and in-depth analysis to determine root causes. Proactively identifies trends and areas of improvement. Defines, communicates, implements, and tracks improvements to ensure high quality and predictability of company's deliverables and services.
- Educates and influences the development organization to continuously improve.
- Define and execute the outsourcing strategy as needed. Create and maintain the outsourcing team(s)'s structure. Ensure clear alignment with the intended roadmap and the established development policies.
- Works with internal stakeholders to lead and provide measurable contributions to feasibility analysis for potential projects.
- Working with the Product Management team and the scrum master team to ensure accurate estimation and resource planning on projects and initiatives.
- Establishes an environment where individuals' behavior exemplifies and promotes teamwork, agility, ethics and integrity, empowerment and accountability, innovation, continuous improvement, and fun.
- Establishes and cultivates a team environment which balances risk and creativity in quickly responding to business opportunities.
- Proactively leads and facilitates on-going communication across the company. Actively promotes the company to raise awareness within the tech industry.
- Actively leads and participates in resolving software environments and technical issues.
Experience & Skills Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum 10 years' experience in web application development utilizing C#.NET in Visual Studio with minimum of 5 years in a management position with large teams.
- Must have at least 10 years' experience working through the design, development, release cycle, and delivering software products to market.
- A proven record of successful delivery of software systems, including high quality deliverables and sustainable delivery speed, as an individual, development manager, and ideally as a development director (indirectly influence the development teams through the development managers).
- A proven record providing effective mentorship to team members in various capacities including Development Manager, QA, and Developer.
- Experience in relational database development utilizing Microsoft SQL Server and software version management systems (e.g. VSTS) and task/bug tracking software (e.g. JIRA)
- Experience working in an Agile / SCRUM development environment ideally operating within the SAFe framework.
- Excellent understanding of and some experience using Test Driven Development. Successful experience implementing strategies to substantially improve quality/ stability desired.
- Excellent understanding and successful implementation of the Secure Software Development Lifecycle.
- Experience with cloud technologies (Azure and/or AWS).
- Deep understanding of object-oriented design patterns and pragmatic programming principles.
- Expertise with MSMQ considered a strong asset.
- Experience with high-performance, scalable enterprise systems would be a strong asset.
- Hands on experience (at least 5 years') with large design efforts, enterprise level deployment, and n-tier architecture.
- Proven track record mentoring other developers in .NET technology and code quality.
- Have a good understanding of DevOps and experience with successful implementation desired.
- Experienced in dealing directly with an executive team and clients with the ability to communicate effectively in presentations
- Excellent English communication skills, attention to detail, and highly organized.
- Must have previous experience managing large teams.
If you are interested in exploring this position, please apply now!
Our client is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at their company.
People are our passion. People are our profession.
Since 2010, SIGnature Recruiting has been pairing exceptional people with short-term contracts and long-term careers in Vancouver’s flourishing IT industry. We are specialists in IT Recruiting and pride ourselves in making valuable contributions to our clients and candidates.